Wednesday, April 27, 2022

tomi um (under 30)

new york times sunday review

Born in the year of the monkey, Tomi Um studied fine arts and received an undergraduate degree at Parsons School of Design. She is a textile designer at Tom Cody Design by day and a freelance illustrator by night & weekend.

new york times, sunday magazine

I have loved drawing since I was a kid, but although I did fine art at university I spent a lot of my college time not working very hard at all, to be honest, I came to what I wanted to do at a pretty late stage. I was 26 and travelling around Korea after graduation when I saw some beautiful illustrations in the New York Times online – and thought “I’d like to do that!” When I got home I signed up for a silk screen class at a continuing education college – and that was where I created my first portfolio.